About Dr. Rajeev Sharan
Senior Consultant, Surgical Oncology & Chief, Head & Neck Oncology, Paras HMRI Hospital, Patna ( July 2014 onwards): Joined Paras Hospital to develop a world class comprehensive cancer surgery services with latest facilities in this region apart from advanced oncosurgery for head and neck cancer and microvascular free flap reconstruction. This region has one of the maximum number of oral cancer cases due to rampant use of tobacco. This centre will cater to a large population of cancer patients covering Bihar, Jharkhand, Orissa, Bengal, eastern UP, North East region, Bangladesh and Nepal.
Department of head and neck oncology at Paras HMRI Hospital is very advanced and equipped with latest technology and advanced infrastructure. This center has facility for comprehensive management of all head and neck cancers, including transoral microlaryngeal surgery, advanced cancer surgery, minimal invasive surgery, advanced skull base surgery and complex head and neck microvascular free flap reconstruction.
I have special interest in advanced head and neck cancer, locally advanced oral cancer, laser surgery, voice preservation for laryngeal cancer, thyroid cancer, endoscopic thyroidectomy, parotid tumors, craniofacial resection for skull base tumors, breast cancer, sarcoma, esophageal cancer and complex microvascular free flap reconstruction apart from other surgical oncology procedures.
Senior Consultant, Surgical Oncology, Tata Medical Center, Kolkata (May 2013- July 2014)
Consultant Surgical Oncologist, Tata Medical Center, Kolkata (July, 2010-April 2013): Tata Medical Center is a state of art exclusive cancer center in the east and north-east region of India. This centre has comprehensive management of all kinds of cancer cases including head & neck, breast, gastrointestinal, genitourinary, thoracic and gynecological malignancy. This region is hot bed for oral cancer due to rampant use of tobacco, paan and gutkha. Department of head and neck oncology at Tata Medical center is advanced and equipped with latest technology.
Service Contribution at Tata Medical Center as a part of Team:
- Setting up Head and Neck cancer treatment protocols based on evidence.
- Setting up of Head and Neck departments
- Setting up the head and neck module in HMS with TCS
- Setting up of Head and Neck Treatment Group and multidisciplinary tumor board
- Contributing as a team to help in planning for set up of various services during construction and commissioning of Tata Medical Center, including: purchase of equipments, planning and scheduling of outdoor patient services, training of customer care executives, patient screening modules for OPD, setting up of CSSD, planning and setting up of operation theatres and ICU,
- Setting up of state of art Head and Neck OPD with Atmos ENT work station and rigid and flexible nasopharyngolaryngo endoscopy suite with computerized recording system
- Purchase, negotiation and installation of Head and neck equipments
- Setting up of microvascular free flap reconstruction and perioperative monitoring for head and neck cancer patients at TMC
- Setting up of craniofacial surgery at TMC
- Setting up of transoral microlaryngeal laser surgery at TMC
- Setting up of thyroid surgery at TMC
- Setting up of complex advanced head and neck surgery unit at TMC
- Setting up and planning of Dental Oncology unit and training of dental professional in Head and Neck oncology
- Setting up and planning of Speech and Swallowing Unit and training of speech and swallowing therapist in Head and Neck Oncology
- Setting up the Fellowship document which details the structure of Head and Neck fellowship training program
- Setting up assessment tests for clinical fellows
- Setting up and conducting of Head and Neck Fellowship program
- Starting weekly programs for formal teaching of clinical fellows in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology
2009- 2010: Consultant Head & Neck Surgical Oncologist and Surgical Oncologist, Dharamshila Cancer Hospital & Research Centre: Dharamshila cancer hospital is one of the oldest private cancer hospitals in Delhi. I was involved in management of head and neck cancer, esophageal cancer, genitourinary cancer, other cancer cases apart from microvascular free flap reconstruction of oncological defect.
Dec 2008- Sep 2009: Assistant Professor, Surgical Oncology, SVIMS: SVIMS is the only tertiary care center in whole of Rayalsema region of Andhra Pradesh state including 8-9 districts. Main case load was head and neck, breast and gynecological cancer cases. Oral cavity cancer is very common in this part of India. I started comprehensive surgical services in SVIMS for all types of head and neck cancer including oral cavity, oropharynx, larynx, hypopharynx, paranasal sinuses and skull base along with oncoplasty. I was also involved in management of other common cancer like breast, gastrointestinal, soft tissue and gynecological cancer cases.
2005-2008: MCh, Head and Neck Surgical Oncology: I was involved in comprehensive management of head and neck cancer patients. I have assisted/ independently performed various head and neck oncological surgeries including surgery for oral cavity cancer, oropharynx, larynx, hypopharynx, paranasal sinuses, skull base, thyroid, and parotid. I have a very good experience in minimal invasive surgery including laser and endoscopic laryngeal surgery. I have extensive training and vast experience in microvascular free flap reconstruction for head and neck, skull base, breast, extremity and chest wall. I have assisted/ independently performed more than 500 free flap microvascular surgeries. I have been very well trained in skull base surgery for skull base tumors and reconstruction.
2002-2005: Senior Resident, Surgical Oncology: I was exposed to modern multidisciplinary management of cancer of head and neck, breast, thorax, gastrointestinal tract, soft tissue sarcoma, and gynecological tract. During this period, I assisted and independently performed various major oncological surgeries. Also, I gained experience in diagnostic endoscopic procedures- upper GI endoscopy, colonoscopy, nasopharyngoscopy, bronchoscopy and cystoscopy.
1999-2002: Surgery Resident: I learnt various surgical skills and principle of surgery. I was exposed to laparoscopy, video assisted thoracic surgery and various major surgical procedures. I was rotated in Pediatric Surgery, Neurosurgery, Cardiovascular Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery and Casualty and Emergency Medicine